Written by Alexander Pushkin. Translated by Ivy and Tatiana Litvinov. Illustrated by D. A. Shmarinov. Designed by S. M. Pozharsky. First published in 1831. This edition published in 1954. Foreign Languages Publishing House, Moscow.
"Towards the end of the year 1811, that never-to-be-forgotten period of our history, there lived in his estate of Nenaradovo the worthy Gavrila Gavrilovich R. He was known through the district for his hospitality and kindliness; neighbours visited him incessantly, to eat, drink and play Boston for five-kopek stakes with his wife, while some came to look at their daughter Marya Gavrilovna, a maiden who was pale, slender and seventeen. She was considered a good match, and there were many who hoped to win her for themselves or their sons."
The Tales of Ivan Belkin (originally titled The Tales of the Late Ivan Petrovich Belkin edited by A. P.) is a collection of five short stories and a fictional editorial introduction by the Russian author. The stories are said to be told by various people to a recently deceased landowner, Ivan Petrovich Belkin, who was fond of collecting and hearing stories. The stories are not related to each other, but they all reflect different aspects of Russian life and culture in the early 19th century. The stories are: The Shot, The Blizzard, The Undertaker, The Postmaster and The Squire's Daughter. Pushkin pretends to be the publisher of Belkin's tales and provides some biographical details about him in the introduction.
Alexander Pushkin (1799-1837) was a Russian poet, novelist, dramatist and short-story writer who is widely regarded as the founder of modern Russian literature and the greatest Russian poet of all time. He wrote his first poem at age 15, and wrote in various genres and forms, including lyric poetry, narrative poetry, historical drama, novel in verse and prose fiction. Some of his most famous works include Eugene Onegin, Boris Godunov, The Queen of Spades and The Bronze Horseman. He also contributed to the development of the Russian language by introducing new words and expressions from colloquial speech and folk culture. He died at the age of 37 after being wounded in a duel with a French officer over his wife's honor.
Visit TheCharmedBookshop.com for other fine books for young readers and collectors.
Condition*: Near Fine/Very Good. Dust jacket: Moderate shelf wear; creased at head of the spine; corners lightly bumped. Black, gold, light blue embossed blue cloth cover boards. Top of textblock stained blue. Name and address of previous owner, language unknown, on back fly leaf. Pages are clean, complete, and undamaged.
Shipping from United States
1-3 business days
Estimated shipping times
- Australia : 1 - 3 business days
- United States : 1 - 3 business days
- North America : 1 - 3 business days
- Europe : 1 - 3 business days
- Australia, New Zealand and Oceania : 1 - 3 business days
- Asia Pacific : 1 - 3 business days
- Latin America and the Caribbean : 1 - 3 business days
- North Africa and the Middle East : 1 - 3 business days
- Sub-Saharan Africa : 1 - 3 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Customs and import taxes
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Returns & Exchanges
I gladly accept returns, exchanges, and cancellations
Just contact me within: 7 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 14 days of delivery
* I will not share your personal information with third parties.
* I will contact you only through Etsy or an email address you provide to convey information about your order and news exclusive to The Charmed Bookshop.
* In placing your order, please provide Etsy with an active email address to ensure that I can get in touch with you about your order.
Frequently Asked Questions
Gift wrapping and packaging
I wrap every book with care and ship it in a padded mailing envelope or sturdy box. If you're purchasing a gift, please advise when ordering and include a gift message.
1. I lightly clean books, as needed, but I don't attempt repairs or restoration. If you'd like a book restored, you'll find trustworthy, qualified experts in your area through libraries or museums.
I also recommend the following care instructions.
American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works -
2. Photos are cropped and resized to Etsy guidelines but are otherwise unedited. Please contact me if you'd like additional photos of book details.
3. Descriptions of condition are based on guidelines from the Independent Online Booksellers' Association.
Order processing time
I'll process and ship your purchase in 1 - 3 business days, and I'll ship anywhere in the world via any mail or delivery service that Etsy offers. (Please refer to the Shipping section for average shipping turn-around times by region.) If I encounter any delays in processing your order, I will advise you in advance.