Written by Gertrude Stein. First edition, 1945. Random House.
Wars I have Seen is Gertrude Stein's memoir of her experiences in France during the Second World War. Stein, who lived in Paris with her partner Alice B. Toklas, witnessed the German occupation, the liberation by the Allies, and the aftermath of the war. She wrote about her observations and reflections on the events, the people, and the changes in society and culture. The book is composed of short chapters that combine prose and poetry, often using repetition and variation to create a rhythmic and musical effect. Stein's style is experimental and unconventional, challenging the reader to find meaning and beauty in the chaos of war.
Gertrude Stein (1874 - 1946) was an American writer, poet, playwright, and art collector who lived most of her life in Paris. She was born in Allegheny, Pennsylvania, and studied psychology at Radcliffe College and medicine at Johns Hopkins University. She moved to Paris in 1903 with her brother Leo, who was an art critic. They collected works by modernist painters such as Picasso, Matisse, and Braque. Stein hosted a famous salon where she met and influenced many artists and writers of the Lost Generation, such as Hemingway, Fitzgerald, and Anderson. She wrote experimental works that challenged the conventions of language and narrative, such as Tender Buttons, The Making of Americans, and The Autobiography of Alice B. Toklas, which was actually a memoir of her own life with her partner Alice Toklas.
Visit TheCharmedBookshop.com for more books for children and collectors.
Condition: Near Fine/Good. Dust jacket: On the front, open tear in the top left corner, rubbing on fore edge; on the back, tanning and light soiling; on the spine, chipped at head and tail, closed tear at tail, rubbing along edges. Blue cloth cover boards with inlaid paper illustrations. Name on front fly leaf else pages are clean, undamaged, and complete.
Shipping from United States
1-3 business days
Estimated shipping times
- Australia : 1 - 3 business days
- United States : 1 - 3 business days
- North America : 1 - 3 business days
- Europe : 1 - 3 business days
- Australia, New Zealand and Oceania : 1 - 3 business days
- Asia Pacific : 1 - 3 business days
- Latin America and the Caribbean : 1 - 3 business days
- North Africa and the Middle East : 1 - 3 business days
- Sub-Saharan Africa : 1 - 3 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Customs and import taxes
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Returns & Exchanges
I gladly accept returns, exchanges, and cancellations
Just contact me within: 7 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 14 days of delivery
* I will not share your personal information with third parties.
* I will contact you only through Etsy or an email address you provide to convey information about your order and news exclusive to The Charmed Bookshop.
* In placing your order, please provide Etsy with an active email address to ensure that I can get in touch with you about your order.
Frequently Asked Questions
Gift wrapping and packaging
I wrap every book with care and ship it in a padded mailing envelope or sturdy box. If you're purchasing a gift, please advise when ordering and include a gift message.
1. I lightly clean books, as needed, but I don't attempt repairs or restoration. If you'd like a book restored, you'll find trustworthy, qualified experts in your area through libraries or museums.
I also recommend the following care instructions.
American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works -
2. Photos are cropped and resized to Etsy guidelines but are otherwise unedited. Please contact me if you'd like additional photos of book details.
3. Descriptions of condition are based on guidelines from the Independent Online Booksellers' Association.
Order processing time
I'll process and ship your purchase in 1 - 3 business days, and I'll ship anywhere in the world via any mail or delivery service that Etsy offers. (Please refer to the Shipping section for average shipping turn-around times by region.) If I encounter any delays in processing your order, I will advise you in advance.