Written by Celia Barker Lottridge. Illustrated by Harvey Chan. First edition, 1998. A Groundwood Book. Douglas & McIntyre. Toronto, Vancouver, Buffalo.
"Sadko is poor in everything but music. He makes his living as an itinerant musician. One day, while playing by the shores of Lake Ilmen, the calm waters part to reveal a giant figure of a man. Sadko realizes that this is the Tsar of the Sea, ruler of all underwater realms. The Tsar is so impressed with Sadko's playing that he offers him a gift if he will promise to come and play for him in his palace under the sea.
"The Tsar's gift, a coffer filled with gold and jewels, allows Sadko to become a rich merchant. He travels the world over and forgets his promise to the Tsar."
Sadko eventually is forced to play at the Tsar's palace, but when the strings of his gusli break, the Tsar allows him to return to Novgorod for repairs, accompanied by a daughter of his choice who would return him to the palace. Sadko chooses Volkova, who wears a beautiful blue lapis lazuli necklace. Before they leave, she has him rest, but he awakes outside the walls of Novgorod, beside a river that had not been there before, and he catches a glimmer of a lapis necklace. Sadko never returns to the Caspian Sea or to the Tsar's palace, and Volkova never returns home. Instead, he sailed the great river Volkov, and "played for the river that loved his songs."
Celia Barker Lottridge (1936 - ) is a Canadian children's writer. She worked as a librarian and a teacher in various places before becoming a book buyer for a children's bookstore in Toronto. She has written and retold many books for children, including folktales, historical novels, picture books and stories from the Bible. Some of her awards include the Geoffrey Bilson Award, the Canadian Library Association Book of the Year for Children Award and Mr. Christie's Book Award.
Harvey Chan (1955 - ) is a renowned author and illustrator of children's books. He was born in Hong Kong and moved to Canada with his family when he was nine years old. He has illustrated over 20 books, including The Magical Life of Mr. Renny and The Jade Necklace. He has also written and illustrated his own books, such as Ghost Train and My Name is Number 4. He has won several awards for his work: the Governor General's Award, the Ruth Schwartz Award, and the Amelia Frances Howard-Gibbon Award.
Visit TheCharmedBookshop.com for more books for children and collectors.
Condition: Very Good/Very Good. Dust jacket: Moderate shelf wear with light ruffling along edges; on the front, small closed tear, upper left. Illustrated cover boards. Small erasure on front fly leaf. Pages are clean, undamaged, and complete.
Shipping from United States
1-3 business days
Estimated shipping times
- Australia : 1 - 3 business days
- United States : 1 - 3 business days
- North America : 1 - 3 business days
- Europe : 1 - 3 business days
- Australia, New Zealand and Oceania : 1 - 3 business days
- Asia Pacific : 1 - 3 business days
- Latin America and the Caribbean : 1 - 3 business days
- North Africa and the Middle East : 1 - 3 business days
- Sub-Saharan Africa : 1 - 3 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Customs and import taxes
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Returns & Exchanges
I gladly accept returns and exchanges
Just contact me within: 7 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 14 days of delivery
I don't accept cancellations
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Conditions of return
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
"We respect your privacy..." What does it mean to you as a valued customer of The Charmed Bookshop?
* I will not share your personal information acquired in the process of communicating with you or fulfilling your order with third parties.
* I do not maintain a separate customer list outside of Etsy for marketing or other purposes.
* I will contact you only through Etsy and only to answer your questions or communicate information about your order unless you provide explicit permission to contact you via personal email or phone number.
EUROZONE CUSTOMERS AND GENERAL DATA PROTECTION REGULATIONS (GDPR)*
Information I collect about you, what I do with it, and how long I keep it:
1. Etsy hosts our shop and an Etsy-powered Pattern Website - Thecharmedbookshop.com - and facilitates purchases, payments, and shipping. When you order an item from The Charmed Bookshop, Etsy collects your full name, physical/billing address, phone number/s, email address, and payment information. In turn, I acquire your full name, mailing address, and email address in order to fulfill your order. I print a hard copy of your order receipt and a mailing label but I do not use this information for any other purpose or share it with third parties.
2. Etsy retains your payment information, such as PayPal, credit card, or other payment method. I do not have access to this information nor will I ask for it.
3. Etsy collects visitor data which it shares with its sellers. I supplement this information with additional data collected by Google Analytics. This information helps me identify potential problems, manage backend processes, and develop content. However, the data that I view is anonymous and does not contain personal information.
Please review your browser's privacy settings for additional privacy support. Your browser is the program you use to surf the Web, e.g. Chrome, Safari, Edge/Internet Explorer, Firefox.
4. I will keep customer information as required by U.S. federal, state, and/or local laws and regulations.
SUBJECT ACCESS REQUESTS AND CORRECTIONS OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Please contact Etsy to file a Subject Access Request (SAR) and receive a copy of your personal information or to correct information they may have about you.
To protect the privacy and identities of customers of The Charmed Bookshop, I will forward all Subject Access Requests that I receive to Etsy absent any ability to confirm the requester's identity or the legitimacy of the request.
*GDPR compliance is a courtesy to EU customers and should not be construed to supersede the laws of the government of the United States or local and state jurisdictions.
Frequently Asked Questions
Gift wrapping and packaging
I wrap every book with care and ship it in a padded mailing envelope or sturdy box. If you're purchasing a gift, please advise when ordering and include a gift message.
1. I lightly clean books, as needed, but I don't attempt repairs or restoration. If you'd like a book restored, you'll find trustworthy, qualified experts in your area through libraries or museums.
I also recommend the following care instructions.
American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works -
2. Photos are cropped and resized to Etsy guidelines but are otherwise unedited. Please contact me if you'd like additional photos of book details.
3. Descriptions of condition are based on guidelines from the Independent Online Booksellers' Association.
Order processing time
I'll process and ship your purchase in 1 - 3 business days, and I'll ship anywhere in the world via any mail or delivery service that Etsy offers. (Please refer to the Shipping section for average shipping turn-around times by region.) If I encounter any delays in processing your order, I will advise you in advance.