Based on the Paramount Picture produced by Max Fleischer and directed by Dave Fleischer. First edition, 1941. (Published around movie premier on Dec 5, 1941.) Garden City Publishing. New York.
"Once life had been peaceful in the little village among the weeds. Mr. Bumble Bee took care of the Honey Shop with the help of his daughter, Honey Bee. Mrs. Lady Bug had no worries about her two young ones as they played in the weed woods behind the old stone house. Even Jeepers Creeper, the snail who complained about everything, was happy and cheerful.
"But now everything was different! The old iron fence at the rear of the yard had rusted and fallen down. Humans walked through the yard every day, stamping down the weeds while the insects ran for their lives."
Mr. Bug Goes To Town, the movie, was previewed in New York on Dec 5, 1941, and released in California Feb 13, 1942, and New York on Feb 20. Mr. Bug is a great animated feature, but timing is everything, and it was overshadowed by the bombing of Pearl Harbor, the estrangement of the Fleischer brothers, and the box office failures in 1940 of Disney's Pinocchio and Fantasia. Mr. Bug, the book, is a gem of early animation art and storytelling. The UCLA Film and Television Archive has restored Mr. Bug Goes To Town and other Fleischer cartoons. Turner Classic Movies aired Mr. Bug in 2012 and 2015.
Visit TheCharmedBookshop.com for more books for children and collectors.
Condition: Very Good. Lacks dust jacket, as issued. Illustrated cover boards with cloth spine: Moderate wear all three edges; light rubbing at head and tail; bumped at corners; on the back, shallow scratch, lower right, and tiny scratch near upper edge. Pages are complete and without tears or creases but have some flaws: Light soiling on front and back paste downs and fly leaf; staining and spotting on pages 2 - 5; light edge tanning. Gift inscription on front fly leaf dated 1943.
Shipping from United States
1-3 business days
Estimated shipping times
- Australia : 1 - 3 business days
- United States : 1 - 3 business days
- North America : 1 - 3 business days
- Europe : 1 - 3 business days
- Australia, New Zealand and Oceania : 1 - 3 business days
- Asia Pacific : 1 - 3 business days
- Latin America and the Caribbean : 1 - 3 business days
- North Africa and the Middle East : 1 - 3 business days
- Sub-Saharan Africa : 1 - 3 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Customs and import taxes
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Returns & Exchanges
I gladly accept returns, exchanges, and cancellations
Just contact me within: 7 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 14 days of delivery
* I will not share your personal information with third parties.
* I will contact you only through Etsy or an email address you provide to convey information about your order and news exclusive to The Charmed Bookshop.
* In placing your order, please provide Etsy with an active email address to ensure that I can get in touch with you about your order.
Frequently Asked Questions
Gift wrapping and packaging
I wrap every book with care and ship it in a padded mailing envelope or sturdy box. If you're purchasing a gift, please advise when ordering and include a gift message.
1. I lightly clean books, as needed, but I don't attempt repairs or restoration. If you'd like a book restored, you'll find trustworthy, qualified experts in your area through libraries or museums.
I also recommend the following care instructions.
American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works -
2. Photos are cropped and resized to Etsy guidelines but are otherwise unedited. Please contact me if you'd like additional photos of book details.
3. Descriptions of condition are based on guidelines from the Independent Online Booksellers' Association.
Order processing time
I'll process and ship your purchase in 1 - 3 business days, and I'll ship anywhere in the world via any mail or delivery service that Etsy offers. (Please refer to the Shipping section for average shipping turn-around times by region.) If I encounter any delays in processing your order, I will advise you in advance.