Written by Robert Browning. Illustrated by Roger Duvoisin. Published, 1936. Grosset & Dunlap, Inc., New York.
"Hamelin Town's in Brunswick
By famous Hanover City.
The river Weser, deep and wide,
Washes its walls on the southern side;
A pleasanter spot you never spied;
But when begins my ditty,
Almost five hundred years ago,
To see the townsfolk suffer so
From vermin, was a pity."
Robert Browning's Pied Piper of Hamelin retells the classic legend of a mysterious musician who saves a town from a plague of rats on the promise of generous payment, but is cheated by the greedy mayor and takes revenge by luring away the children. Browning wrote it to amuse his young friend Willy while he was recovering from an illness.
Robert Browning (1812-1889) was an English poet and playwright of the Victorian era acclaimed for his mastery of dramatic monologue and psychological portraiture, as well as his use of irony, dark humor, social commentary and challenging vocabulary and syntax. His most celebrated work is The Ring and the Book (1868-69), a long narrative poem based on a Roman murder trial. He married fellow poet Elizabeth Barrett Browning in 1846 and lived with her in Italy until her death in 1861. He achieved popular recognition and critical acclaim in his later years, and influenced many modern poets.
Roger Duvoisin (1900 - 1980) was a Swiss-born American author and illustrator who created many children's picture books. He won the 1948 Caldecott Medal for White Snow, Bright Snow, written by Alvin Tresselt, and was a runner-up for the 1968 Hans Christian Andersen Award for lifetime achievement in children's book illustration. He also collaborated with his wife Louise Fatio on the popular Happy Lion series. He was known for his humorous and expressive animal characters, such as Petunia the goose and Veronica the hippo, as well as his skillful use of color and design.
Visit TheCharmedBookshop.com for more books for children and collectors.
Condition: Very Good. Lacks dust jacket, as issued. Illustrated paper cover boards: Moderate shelf wear; small scuff on the front; light soiling front and back; corners bumped; cloth spine is loose and separating, taped at the head and tail; name in pencil on front paste down; original bookstore label on front fly leaf. Pages: Light edge tanning; soiling along the bottom of copyright page. Pages are undamaged and complete.
Shipping from United States
1-3 business days
Estimated shipping times
- Australia : 1 - 3 business days
- United States : 1 - 3 business days
- North America : 1 - 3 business days
- Europe : 1 - 3 business days
- Australia, New Zealand and Oceania : 1 - 3 business days
- Asia Pacific : 1 - 3 business days
- Latin America and the Caribbean : 1 - 3 business days
- North Africa and the Middle East : 1 - 3 business days
- Sub-Saharan Africa : 1 - 3 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Customs and import taxes
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Returns & Exchanges
I gladly accept returns and exchanges
Just contact me within: 7 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 14 days of delivery
I don't accept cancellations
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Conditions of return
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
"We respect your privacy..." What does it mean to you as a valued customer of The Charmed Bookshop?
* I will not share your personal information acquired in the process of communicating with you or fulfilling your order with third parties.
* I do not maintain a separate customer list outside of Etsy for marketing or other purposes.
* I will contact you only through Etsy and only to answer your questions or communicate information about your order unless you provide explicit permission to contact you via personal email or phone number.
EUROZONE CUSTOMERS AND GENERAL DATA PROTECTION REGULATIONS (GDPR)*
Information I collect about you, what I do with it, and how long I keep it:
1. Etsy hosts our shop and an Etsy-powered Pattern Website - Thecharmedbookshop.com - and facilitates purchases, payments, and shipping. When you order an item from The Charmed Bookshop, Etsy collects your full name, physical/billing address, phone number/s, email address, and payment information. In turn, I acquire your full name, mailing address, and email address in order to fulfill your order. I print a hard copy of your order receipt and a mailing label but I do not use this information for any other purpose or share it with third parties.
2. Etsy retains your payment information, such as PayPal, credit card, or other payment method. I do not have access to this information nor will I ask for it.
3. Etsy collects visitor data which it shares with its sellers. I supplement this information with additional data collected by Google Analytics. This information helps me identify potential problems, manage backend processes, and develop content. However, the data that I view is anonymous and does not contain personal information.
Please review your browser's privacy settings for additional privacy support. Your browser is the program you use to surf the Web, e.g. Chrome, Safari, Edge/Internet Explorer, Firefox.
4. I will keep customer information as required by U.S. federal, state, and/or local laws and regulations.
SUBJECT ACCESS REQUESTS AND CORRECTIONS OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Please contact Etsy to file a Subject Access Request (SAR) and receive a copy of your personal information or to correct information they may have about you.
To protect the privacy and identities of customers of The Charmed Bookshop, I will forward all Subject Access Requests that I receive to Etsy absent any ability to confirm the requester's identity or the legitimacy of the request.
*GDPR compliance is a courtesy to EU customers and should not be construed to supersede the laws of the government of the United States or local and state jurisdictions.
Frequently Asked Questions
Gift wrapping and packaging
I wrap every book with care and ship it in a padded mailing envelope or sturdy box. If you're purchasing a gift, please advise when ordering and include a gift message.
1. I lightly clean books, as needed, but I don't attempt repairs or restoration. If you'd like a book restored, you'll find trustworthy, qualified experts in your area through libraries or museums.
I also recommend the following care instructions.
American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works -
2. Photos are cropped and resized to Etsy guidelines but are otherwise unedited. Please contact me if you'd like additional photos of book details.
3. Descriptions of condition are based on guidelines from the Independent Online Booksellers' Association.
Order processing time
I'll process and ship your purchase in 1 - 3 business days, and I'll ship anywhere in the world via any mail or delivery service that Etsy offers. (Please refer to the Shipping section for average shipping turn-around times by region.) If I encounter any delays in processing your order, I will advise you in advance.