Adapted by Clifton Johnson. Illustrated by Harry L. Smith. Republished, 1935. (Originally published in 1920 by the Macauley Company.) The Goldsmith Publishing Company. Chicago.
"Here are childhood's Wonder Tales: The Pied Piper of Hamelin, whose flute children dance to now as then; the heroic tale of the prodigious Tom Thumb and his encounters with the giant; the glorious story of St. George and The Dragon; the beautiful legend of the Sleeping Beauty; and the awesome Blue-Beard. Clifton Johnson has retold these timeless favorites in simple beautiful language and has eliminated all the harrowing incidents the older versions contained."
Clifton Johnson (1865 - 1940) was a prominent American author, illustrator and photographer best known for his books and articles about rural life in New England and the South, as well as his travels around the world. He was also a pioneer of documentary photography, capturing images of people and places that were often overlooked or marginalized by mainstream media. He published over 125 books and thousands of articles, and his photographs are preserved in several museums and libraries. He was a friend and collaborator of many famous writers, such as Mark Twain, Rudyard Kipling and Jack London. He was also an active social reformer, advocating for causes such as education, civil rights and peace.
Harry L. Smith (1883 - 1943) was a prolific and versatile illustrator who worked for many magazines and newspapers in the early 20th century. Born in London, he moved to New York in 1907 and became a staff artist for The New York Times, where he illustrated news stories, cartoons, and advertisements. He also contributed to other publications such as Harper's Weekly, Collier's, and The Saturday Evening Post. Smith was known for his realistic and detailed style, as well as his ability to capture the mood and atmosphere of different scenes. He illustrated a variety of subjects, from historical events and celebrities to sports and wildlife.
Visit TheCharmedBookshop.com for more books for children and collectors.
Condition: Very Good/Very Good. Dust jacket: Moderate shelf wear; on the front, scuffed along fore edge, creased and chipped at upper edge, small closed tear; on the back, chipped along upper edge, small closed tear at lower edge; chipped at head and tail of the spine; tape repairs and reinforcement from inside. Black-embossed orange cloth cover boards: Bumped at head and tail of the spine. Edge tanning else pages are clean, undamaged, and complete.
Shipping from United States
1-3 business days
Estimated shipping times
- Australia : 1 - 3 business days
- United States : 1 - 3 business days
- North America : 1 - 3 business days
- Europe : 1 - 3 business days
- Australia, New Zealand and Oceania : 1 - 3 business days
- Asia Pacific : 1 - 3 business days
- Latin America and the Caribbean : 1 - 3 business days
- North Africa and the Middle East : 1 - 3 business days
- Sub-Saharan Africa : 1 - 3 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Customs and import taxes
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Returns & Exchanges
I gladly accept returns and exchanges
Just contact me within: 7 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 14 days of delivery
I don't accept cancellations
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Conditions of return
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
"We respect your privacy..." What does it mean to you as a valued customer of The Charmed Bookshop?
* I will not share your personal information acquired in the process of communicating with you or fulfilling your order with third parties.
* I do not maintain a separate customer list outside of Etsy for marketing or other purposes.
* I will contact you only through Etsy and only to answer your questions or communicate information about your order unless you provide explicit permission to contact you via personal email or phone number.
EUROZONE CUSTOMERS AND GENERAL DATA PROTECTION REGULATIONS (GDPR)*
Information I collect about you, what I do with it, and how long I keep it:
1. Etsy hosts our shop and an Etsy-powered Pattern Website - Thecharmedbookshop.com - and facilitates purchases, payments, and shipping. When you order an item from The Charmed Bookshop, Etsy collects your full name, physical/billing address, phone number/s, email address, and payment information. In turn, I acquire your full name, mailing address, and email address in order to fulfill your order. I print a hard copy of your order receipt and a mailing label but I do not use this information for any other purpose or share it with third parties.
2. Etsy retains your payment information, such as PayPal, credit card, or other payment method. I do not have access to this information nor will I ask for it.
3. Etsy collects visitor data which it shares with its sellers. I supplement this information with additional data collected by Google Analytics. This information helps me identify potential problems, manage backend processes, and develop content. However, the data that I view is anonymous and does not contain personal information.
Please review your browser's privacy settings for additional privacy support. Your browser is the program you use to surf the Web, e.g. Chrome, Safari, Edge/Internet Explorer, Firefox.
4. I will keep customer information as required by U.S. federal, state, and/or local laws and regulations.
SUBJECT ACCESS REQUESTS AND CORRECTIONS OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Please contact Etsy to file a Subject Access Request (SAR) and receive a copy of your personal information or to correct information they may have about you.
To protect the privacy and identities of customers of The Charmed Bookshop, I will forward all Subject Access Requests that I receive to Etsy absent any ability to confirm the requester's identity or the legitimacy of the request.
*GDPR compliance is a courtesy to EU customers and should not be construed to supersede the laws of the government of the United States or local and state jurisdictions.
Frequently Asked Questions
Gift wrapping and packaging
I wrap every book with care and ship it in a padded mailing envelope or sturdy box. If you're purchasing a gift, please advise when ordering and include a gift message.
1. I lightly clean books, as needed, but I don't attempt repairs or restoration. If you'd like a book restored, you'll find trustworthy, qualified experts in your area through libraries or museums.
I also recommend the following care instructions.
American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works -
2. Photos are cropped and resized to Etsy guidelines but are otherwise unedited. Please contact me if you'd like additional photos of book details.
3. Descriptions of condition are based on guidelines from the Independent Online Booksellers' Association.
Order processing time
I'll process and ship your purchase in 1 - 3 business days, and I'll ship anywhere in the world via any mail or delivery service that Etsy offers. (Please refer to the Shipping section for average shipping turn-around times by region.) If I encounter any delays in processing your order, I will advise you in advance.