Selected and edited by Gillian Avery. Illustrated by Susan Einzig. First American edition, 1965. D. Van Nostrand Company Inc.
In The Window Seat is a collection of classic Victorian children's stories, edited and introduced by the author. The stories are set in different historical periods and locations, and feature young protagonists who face various challenges and adventures. The book is illustrated with line drawings by Susan Einzig, who captures the mood and atmosphere of each story.
Through the Fire by Mary de Morgan
The Hundredth Birthday by Mrs. Gatty
A Bad Habit by Juliana Horatia Ewing
Moufflou by Ouida
The Orphans' Reward by Maria Edgeworth
The Yew-Lane Ghosts by Juliana Horatia Ewing
The Apple-Pie by Ann Fraser Tytler
The Weather Maiden by Mrs Molesworth
The Nurnberg Stove by Ouida
Gillian Avery (1926 - 2016) was a British children's novelist and a historian of children's literature. She worked as a journalist and an editor before becoming a writer. She wrote several books set in Victorian England, such as The Warden's Niece and A Likely Lad, which won the Guardian Children's Fiction Prize in 1972. She also published scholarly works on the history of childhood and children's books.
Susan Einzig (1922 - 2009) was a British illustrator, painter, printmaker and art teacher, best known for illustrating the children's book Tom's Midnight Garden by Philippa Pearce. Einzig was born in Berlin and came to England in 1939 as part of the Kindertransport. She studied at the Central School of Arts and Crafts and later taught at Camberwell School of Art and Chelsea School of Art and Design.
Visit TheCharmedBookshop.com for more books for children and collectors
Condition: Very Good/Good. Dust jacket: On the front, three small closed tears at the upper edge, one small tear lower right, wear on the fore edge; on the back, small red spot, light soiling from handling; corners bumped; chipped at head and tail of the spine; edge tanning. White-embossed green cloth cover boards; Very light edge wear; small indentation at lower edge. Pages are clean, undamaged, and complete.
Shipping from United States
1-3 business days
Estimated shipping times
- Australia : 1 - 3 business days
- United States : 1 - 3 business days
- North America : 1 - 3 business days
- Europe : 1 - 3 business days
- Australia, New Zealand and Oceania : 1 - 3 business days
- Asia Pacific : 1 - 3 business days
- Latin America and the Caribbean : 1 - 3 business days
- North Africa and the Middle East : 1 - 3 business days
- Sub-Saharan Africa : 1 - 3 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Customs and import taxes
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Returns & Exchanges
I gladly accept returns and exchanges
Just contact me within: 7 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 14 days of delivery
I don't accept cancellations
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Conditions of return
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
"We respect your privacy..." What does it mean to you as a valued customer of The Charmed Bookshop?
* I will not share your personal information acquired in the process of communicating with you or fulfilling your order with third parties.
* I do not maintain a separate customer list outside of Etsy for marketing or other purposes.
* I will contact you only through Etsy and only to answer your questions or communicate information about your order unless you provide explicit permission to contact you via personal email or phone number.
EUROZONE CUSTOMERS AND GENERAL DATA PROTECTION REGULATIONS (GDPR)*
Information I collect about you, what I do with it, and how long I keep it:
1. Etsy hosts our shop and an Etsy-powered Pattern Website - Thecharmedbookshop.com - and facilitates purchases, payments, and shipping. When you order an item from The Charmed Bookshop, Etsy collects your full name, physical/billing address, phone number/s, email address, and payment information. In turn, I acquire your full name, mailing address, and email address in order to fulfill your order. I print a hard copy of your order receipt and a mailing label but I do not use this information for any other purpose or share it with third parties.
2. Etsy retains your payment information, such as PayPal, credit card, or other payment method. I do not have access to this information nor will I ask for it.
3. Etsy collects visitor data which it shares with its sellers. I supplement this information with additional data collected by Google Analytics. This information helps me identify potential problems, manage backend processes, and develop content. However, the data that I view is anonymous and does not contain personal information.
Please review your browser's privacy settings for additional privacy support. Your browser is the program you use to surf the Web, e.g. Chrome, Safari, Edge/Internet Explorer, Firefox.
4. I will keep customer information as required by U.S. federal, state, and/or local laws and regulations.
SUBJECT ACCESS REQUESTS AND CORRECTIONS OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Please contact Etsy to file a Subject Access Request (SAR) and receive a copy of your personal information or to correct information they may have about you.
To protect the privacy and identities of customers of The Charmed Bookshop, I will forward all Subject Access Requests that I receive to Etsy absent any ability to confirm the requester's identity or the legitimacy of the request.
*GDPR compliance is a courtesy to EU customers and should not be construed to supersede the laws of the government of the United States or local and state jurisdictions.
Frequently Asked Questions
Gift wrapping and packaging
I wrap every book with care and ship it in a padded mailing envelope or sturdy box. If you're purchasing a gift, please advise when ordering and include a gift message.
1. I lightly clean books, as needed, but I don't attempt repairs or restoration. If you'd like a book restored, you'll find trustworthy, qualified experts in your area through libraries or museums.
I also recommend the following care instructions.
American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works -
2. Photos are cropped and resized to Etsy guidelines but are otherwise unedited. Please contact me if you'd like additional photos of book details.
3. Descriptions of condition are based on guidelines from the Independent Online Booksellers' Association.
Order processing time
I'll process and ship your purchase in 1 - 3 business days, and I'll ship anywhere in the world via any mail or delivery service that Etsy offers. (Please refer to the Shipping section for average shipping turn-around times by region.) If I encounter any delays in processing your order, I will advise you in advance.