Written by Enid Bagnold. Illustrated by Laurian Jones. Commemorative edition, publication date unknown. William Morrow and Company. New York.
National Velvet, in continuous publication since 1935, tells the story of Velvet Brown, a 14-year-old girl who loves horses and dreams of riding in the Grand National, the most prestigious steeplechase in England. When she wins a raffle for a wild and unruly horse named The Pie, she sees her chance to make her dream come true. With the help of her friend and mentor, Mi Taylor, a former jockey, she trains The Pie secretly and enters him in the race under a false name.
Enid Bagnold (1889 - 1981) was a British writer and playwright born in Rochester, Kent. She grew up mostly in Jamaica, where her father was an army officer, and later studied art in London. During World War I, she worked as a nurse and a driver, and wrote about her experiences in her first books, A Diary Without Dates and The Happy Foreigner. She married Sir Roderick Jones, the chairman of Reuters news agency, in 1920 and had four children. She became famous for her novel National Velvet, which tells the story of a young girl who wins the Grand National horse race. She also wrote several other novels, such as The Squire and The Loved and Envied, and successful plays, such as The Chalk Garden and A Matter of Gravity.
PLEASE NOTE: This edition is a commemorative reprint of the original first US edition of National Velvet. It is not the first US edition, or a Book of the Month Club (BOMC) edition. National Velvet was first published in the UK in 1935, and in the U.S. the same year by William Morrow and Company, followed by the Book of the Month Club edition. Publication history of this William Morrow edition is unknown. The book has no ISBN, Library of Congress listing, barcode, or BOMC identifiers. (Lack of a price on the front flap doesn't point to BOMC in this case.)
Visit TheCharmedBookshop.com for more books for children and collectors
Condition: Near Fine/Very Good. Dust jacket: Fading along spine and upper edge; very light wear along upper edge. Quarter-bound silver-embossed red/black cloth cover boards. Pages are clean, undamaged, and complete.
Shipping from United States
1-3 business days
Estimated shipping times
- Australia : 1 - 3 business days
- United States : 1 - 3 business days
- North America : 1 - 3 business days
- Europe : 1 - 3 business days
- Australia, New Zealand and Oceania : 1 - 3 business days
- Asia Pacific : 1 - 3 business days
- Latin America and the Caribbean : 1 - 3 business days
- North Africa and the Middle East : 1 - 3 business days
- Sub-Saharan Africa : 1 - 3 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Customs and import taxes
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Returns & Exchanges
I gladly accept returns and exchanges
Just contact me within: 7 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 14 days of delivery
I don't accept cancellations
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Conditions of return
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
"We respect your privacy..." What does it mean to you as a valued customer of The Charmed Bookshop?
* I will not share your personal information acquired in the process of communicating with you or fulfilling your order with third parties.
* I do not maintain a separate customer list outside of Etsy for marketing or other purposes.
* I will contact you only through Etsy and only to answer your questions or communicate information about your order unless you provide explicit permission to contact you via personal email or phone number.
EUROZONE CUSTOMERS AND GENERAL DATA PROTECTION REGULATIONS (GDPR)*
Information I collect about you, what I do with it, and how long I keep it:
1. Etsy hosts our shop and an Etsy-powered Pattern Website - Thecharmedbookshop.com - and facilitates purchases, payments, and shipping. When you order an item from The Charmed Bookshop, Etsy collects your full name, physical/billing address, phone number/s, email address, and payment information. In turn, I acquire your full name, mailing address, and email address in order to fulfill your order. I print a hard copy of your order receipt and a mailing label but I do not use this information for any other purpose or share it with third parties.
2. Etsy retains your payment information, such as PayPal, credit card, or other payment method. I do not have access to this information nor will I ask for it.
3. Etsy collects visitor data which it shares with its sellers. I supplement this information with additional data collected by Google Analytics. This information helps me identify potential problems, manage backend processes, and develop content. However, the data that I view is anonymous and does not contain personal information.
Please review your browser's privacy settings for additional privacy support. Your browser is the program you use to surf the Web, e.g. Chrome, Safari, Edge/Internet Explorer, Firefox.
4. I will keep customer information as required by U.S. federal, state, and/or local laws and regulations.
SUBJECT ACCESS REQUESTS AND CORRECTIONS OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Please contact Etsy to file a Subject Access Request (SAR) and receive a copy of your personal information or to correct information they may have about you.
To protect the privacy and identities of customers of The Charmed Bookshop, I will forward all Subject Access Requests that I receive to Etsy absent any ability to confirm the requester's identity or the legitimacy of the request.
*GDPR compliance is a courtesy to EU customers and should not be construed to supersede the laws of the government of the United States or local and state jurisdictions.
Frequently Asked Questions
Gift wrapping and packaging
I wrap every book with care and ship it in a padded mailing envelope or sturdy box. If you're purchasing a gift, please advise when ordering and include a gift message.
1. I lightly clean books, as needed, but I don't attempt repairs or restoration. If you'd like a book restored, you'll find trustworthy, qualified experts in your area through libraries or museums.
I also recommend the following care instructions.
American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works -
2. Photos are cropped and resized to Etsy guidelines but are otherwise unedited. Please contact me if you'd like additional photos of book details.
3. Descriptions of condition are based on guidelines from the Independent Online Booksellers' Association.
Order processing time
I'll process and ship your purchase in 1 - 3 business days, and I'll ship anywhere in the world via any mail or delivery service that Etsy offers. (Please refer to the Shipping section for average shipping turn-around times by region.) If I encounter any delays in processing your order, I will advise you in advance.