Written by E. Nesbitt. Illustrated by Shirley Hughes. First Henry Holt Little Classics Edition, 1994. (Originally published in the UK in 1906.) Henry Holt & Company.
The Railway Children tells the story of three siblings, Roberta, Peter and Phyllis, who move with their mother from London to a cottage near a railway station in the countryside after their father is mysteriously taken away. There they make friends with the railway workers, the local villagers and a kind old gentleman who regularly takes the train. They also have many adventures involving trains, such as rescuing a baby from a tunnel, preventing a landslide, saving a Russian exile and finding their father.
Edith Nesbit (1858 - 1924) was a British writer and poet who published her books for children under the name E. Nesbit. She married Hubert Bland, a political writer and a socialist, in 1880 and had three children with him. She also adopted two more children from his affairs with another woman. She was a co-founder of the Fabian Society, a socialist organisation that later became part of the Labour Party. She wrote more than 60 books for children, including The Story of the Treasure Seekers, Five Children and It, and The Story of the Amulet. She also wrote novels and poems for adults.
Shirley Hughes (1927 - 2022) was a renowned English author and illustrator of more than 200 children's books, selling over 10 million copies worldwide. She began her career as an illustrator for other authors, such as Dorothy Edwards, before creating her own stories, such as Lucy And Tom's Day (1960). She achieved fame and recognition with her series Alfie, about a young boy and his sister Annie Rose, and Dogger, about a boy who loses his beloved toy dog. She won the Kate Greenaway Medal twice, for Dogger (1977) and Ella's Big Chance (2003), and received the BookTrust Lifetime Achievement award in 2015.
Visit TheCharmedBookshop.com for more books for children and collectors.
Condition: Fine/Near Fine. Dust jacket: Light shelf wear. Gold-embossed purple cloth cover boards. Pages are clean, undamaged, and complete.
Shipping from United States
1-3 business days
Estimated shipping times
- Australia : 1 - 3 business days
- United States : 1 - 3 business days
- North America : 1 - 3 business days
- Europe : 1 - 3 business days
- Australia, New Zealand and Oceania : 1 - 3 business days
- Asia Pacific : 1 - 3 business days
- Latin America and the Caribbean : 1 - 3 business days
- North Africa and the Middle East : 1 - 3 business days
- Sub-Saharan Africa : 1 - 3 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Customs and import taxes
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Returns & Exchanges
I gladly accept returns and exchanges
Just contact me within: 7 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 14 days of delivery
I don't accept cancellations
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Conditions of return
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
* I will not share your personal information acquired in the process of communicating with you or fulfilling your order with third parties.
* I will contact you only through Etsy or an email address you provide to answer your questions, convey information about your order, and share news exclusive to The Charmed Bookshop.
* In placing your order, please use an active email address to ensure that I can get in touch with you about your order.
Frequently Asked Questions
Gift wrapping and packaging
I wrap every book with care and ship it in a padded mailing envelope or sturdy box. If you're purchasing a gift, please advise when ordering and include a gift message.
1. I lightly clean books, as needed, but I don't attempt repairs or restoration. If you'd like a book restored, you'll find trustworthy, qualified experts in your area through libraries or museums.
I also recommend the following care instructions.
American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works -
2. Photos are cropped and resized to Etsy guidelines but are otherwise unedited. Please contact me if you'd like additional photos of book details.
3. Descriptions of condition are based on guidelines from the Independent Online Booksellers' Association.
Order processing time
I'll process and ship your purchase in 1 - 3 business days, and I'll ship anywhere in the world via any mail or delivery service that Etsy offers. (Please refer to the Shipping section for average shipping turn-around times by region.) If I encounter any delays in processing your order, I will advise you in advance.