Retold by Harve Zemach. Illustrated by Margot Zemach. First edition, second printing, 1974. Farrar, Straus, Giroux. New York.
"Squire Lovel of Trove had no wife. His housekeeper, Old Jone, did the cooking and the cleaning for him. But the sharpness had long since gone out of her eyesight, so she couldn't do fine chores any more, like spinning and sewing and knitting. After a time the squire's clothes got so rough and ragged that he thought he'd better go find a maid to be Jone's helper.
"With that in mind he rode up to Buryan Church town one fine morning. ..."
This Cornish folk tale, a version of Rumpelstiltskin, was performed in the 19th century as a Christmas play. Squire Lovel hires Duffy to help Old Jone, but in truth she's lazy and lies about her skills at weaving. The devil senses an opportunity and appears to her, and makes her a deal: He'll spin wool for her for three years, at which point Duffy must guess his name or leave with him, forever.
Harve and Margot Zemach, a husband-and-wife team, collaborated on several books, often adapting folk tales from different cultures. Harve wrote the text and Margot did the illustrations. Their most famous work was Duffy and the Devil, which won the Caldecott Medal in 1974. Margot also wrote and illustrated books on her own, and with her daughter Kaethe.
Visit TheCharmedBookshop.com for more books for children and collectors.
Condition: Fine/Very Good. Dust jacket: Light edge wear; on the front, small closed tear, top right; crease along leading edge of back flap; lightly bumped at corners. Turquoise blue cloth cover boards. Pages are clean, undamaged, and complete.
Shipping from United States
1-3 business days
Estimated shipping times
- Australia : 1 - 3 business days
- United States : 1 - 3 business days
- North America : 1 - 3 business days
- Europe : 1 - 3 business days
- Australia, New Zealand and Oceania : 1 - 3 business days
- Asia Pacific : 1 - 3 business days
- Latin America and the Caribbean : 1 - 3 business days
- North Africa and the Middle East : 1 - 3 business days
- Sub-Saharan Africa : 1 - 3 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Customs and import taxes
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Returns & Exchanges
I gladly accept returns, exchanges, and cancellations
Just contact me within: 7 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 14 days of delivery
* I will not share your personal information with third parties.
* I will contact you only through Etsy or an email address you provide to convey information about your order and news exclusive to The Charmed Bookshop.
* In placing your order, please provide Etsy with an active email address to ensure that I can get in touch with you about your order.
Frequently Asked Questions
Gift wrapping and packaging
I wrap every book with care and ship it in a padded mailing envelope or sturdy box. If you're purchasing a gift, please advise when ordering and include a gift message.
1. I lightly clean books, as needed, but I don't attempt repairs or restoration. If you'd like a book restored, you'll find trustworthy, qualified experts in your area through libraries or museums.
I also recommend the following care instructions.
American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works -
2. Photos are cropped and resized to Etsy guidelines but are otherwise unedited. Please contact me if you'd like additional photos of book details.
3. Descriptions of condition are based on guidelines from the Independent Online Booksellers' Association.
Order processing time
I'll process and ship your purchase in 1 - 3 business days, and I'll ship anywhere in the world via any mail or delivery service that Etsy offers. (Please refer to the Shipping section for average shipping turn-around times by region.) If I encounter any delays in processing your order, I will advise you in advance.