Written by Kim So-un. Illustrated by Jeong Kyoung-Sim. First edition, 2005. Tuttle Publishing, an imprint of Periplus Editions.
"Many years ago in old Korea, there once lived a very famous marksman and hunter. He was such a fine marksman that he could shoot down a bird in flight, almost without taking aim. Deer and wild boar were no match for this hunter once they entered the sights of his gun. He never missed a shot.
"In those days the Kumgang Mountains were full of tigers. The beasts would come down from the mountains and steal, eating whatever they could find, not just horses and cattle, but people too."
According to this Korean folktale, the hunter set out one day to kill the tigers, and as he was warned by elders, he never returned. When his son became a young man, he practiced to become an even greater marksman in preparation for going into the mountains to seek revenge on the white tiger that killed his father. The tigers often took the form of people, but the hunter's son grew wise until he knew a tiger when he saw one. When he finally confronted the white tiger, his bullets bounced off the great animal's teeth until they were spent and the tiger swallowed him whole. In the tiger's stomach, he found his father's bones, but also a young girl who the tiger had kidnapped. He brought her back from the brink of death, and together they began to hack through the tiger's stomach, driving him mad in the process, until they worked their way out and he died. The hunter's son returned the girl to her family, and her father, a high-ranking minister, allowed them to marry and live happily ever after.
Kim So-un (1943 - ) is a renowned South Korean author of children's books and folktales. He was born in Seoul and studied Korean literature at Seoul National University. He began his career as a teacher and journalist, but later turned to writing stories for children. He has published over 100 books, including The Story Bag, The Magic Gem, The Rabbit's Judgment, and The Tiger and the Dried Persimmon. He has also translated many folktales from China, Japan, Vietnam, and India. He is widely recognized as a master storyteller who preserves and promotes the rich cultural heritage of Korea through his imaginative and engaging stories. He has received the Korean Children's Literature Award, the Hans Christian Andersen Award nomination, and the Order of Cultural Merit from the Korean government.
Jeong Kyoung-Sim is a Korean illustrator who specializes in children's books. She has illustrated several books based on Korean folktales and legends, such as Korean Children's Favorite Stories, The Deer and the Woodcutter, and The Magic Gem. She works with watercolor, pencil, and digital tools to create her artwork.
Visit TheCharmedBookshop.com for more books for children and collectors.
Condition: Fine/Fine. Illustrated cover boards. Pages are clean, undamaged, and complete.
Shipping from United States
1-3 business days
Estimated shipping times
- Australia : 1 - 3 business days
- United States : 1 - 3 business days
- North America : 1 - 3 business days
- Europe : 1 - 3 business days
- Australia, New Zealand and Oceania : 1 - 3 business days
- Asia Pacific : 1 - 3 business days
- Latin America and the Caribbean : 1 - 3 business days
- North Africa and the Middle East : 1 - 3 business days
- Sub-Saharan Africa : 1 - 3 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Customs and import taxes
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Returns & Exchanges
I gladly accept returns, exchanges, and cancellations
Just contact me within: 7 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 14 days of delivery
* I will not share your personal information with third parties.
* I will contact you only through Etsy or an email address you provide to convey information about your order and news exclusive to The Charmed Bookshop.
* In placing your order, please provide Etsy with an active email address to ensure that I can get in touch with you about your order.
Frequently Asked Questions
Gift wrapping and packaging
I wrap every book with care and ship it in a padded mailing envelope or sturdy box. If you're purchasing a gift, please advise when ordering and include a gift message.
1. I lightly clean books, as needed, but I don't attempt repairs or restoration. If you'd like a book restored, you'll find trustworthy, qualified experts in your area through libraries or museums.
I also recommend the following care instructions.
American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works -
2. Photos are cropped and resized to Etsy guidelines but are otherwise unedited. Please contact me if you'd like additional photos of book details.
3. Descriptions of condition are based on guidelines from the Independent Online Booksellers' Association.
Order processing time
I'll process and ship your purchase in 1 - 3 business days, and I'll ship anywhere in the world via any mail or delivery service that Etsy offers. (Please refer to the Shipping section for average shipping turn-around times by region.) If I encounter any delays in processing your order, I will advise you in advance.