Written by Harriet Beecher Stowe. Edited by Henry Louis Gates, Jr. and Hollis Robbins. First edition, 2007. W. W. Norton & Company.
Harvard professor Henry Louis Gates, Jr. takes on the project of refuting James Baldwin's 1955 critique of Harriet Beecher Stowe's Uncle Tom's Cabin as worthless and dehumanizing. Gates and co-editor Hollis Robbins explain the novel's enduring significance as a work of abolitionist fiction through commentary on the text, its sources, its reception, and its cultural impact, enriched by illustrations, maps, appendices, and a chronology of Stowe's life and works.
Henry Louis Gates, Jr. is an American scholar, public intellectual, and literary critic. He is the Alphonse Fletcher University Professor and Director of the Hutchins Center for African and African American Research at Harvard University. He is also the host and executive producer of the PBS series Finding Your Roots, which explores the genealogy and ancestry of prominent Americans. Gates has written and edited more than 20 books on topics ranging from African American literature and culture to race and identity. He is widely regarded as one of the leading figures in the field of African American studies and a pioneer of the discipline of Black Studies.
Hollis Robbins, an American scholar, writer, and educator, is the dean of the School of Arts and Sciences at Sonoma State University and a former professor of humanities at Johns Hopkins University. She is an expert on African American literature, nineteenth-century American literature, and film studies. She has published several books and articles on topics such as Frederick Douglass, Edgar Allan Poe, Harriet Beecher Stowe, and Oscar Micheaux. She is also a co-editor of The Portable Nineteenth-Century African American Women Writers. She has received numerous awards and honors for her teaching and research, including a Guggenheim Fellowship and a Fulbright Scholarship.
Visit TheCharmedBookshop.com for more books for children and collectors.
Condition: Near Fine/Near Fine. Dust jacket: Very light shelf wear. Blue-embossed ivory cover boards. Text block: Light soiling on leading corner. Pages are clean, undamaged, and complete.
1-3 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Just contact me within: 7 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 14 days of delivery
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
"We respect your privacy..." What does it mean to you as a valued customer of The Charmed Bookshop?
* I will not share your personal information acquired in the process of communicating with you or fulfilling your order with third parties.
* I do not maintain a separate customer list outside of Etsy for marketing or other purposes.
* I will contact you only through Etsy and only to answer your questions or communicate information about your order unless you provide explicit permission to contact you via personal email or phone number.
EUROZONE CUSTOMERS AND GENERAL DATA PROTECTION REGULATIONS (GDPR)*
Information I collect about you, what I do with it, and how long I keep it:
1. Etsy hosts our shop and an Etsy-powered Pattern Website - Thecharmedbookshop.com - and facilitates purchases, payments, and shipping. When you order an item from The Charmed Bookshop, Etsy collects your full name, physical/billing address, phone number/s, email address, and payment information. In turn, I acquire your full name, mailing address, and email address in order to fulfill your order. I print a hard copy of your order receipt and a mailing label but I do not use this information for any other purpose or share it with third parties.
2. Etsy retains your payment information, such as PayPal, credit card, or other payment method. I do not have access to this information nor will I ask for it.
3. Etsy collects visitor data which it shares with its sellers. I supplement this information with additional data collected by Google Analytics. This information helps me identify potential problems, manage backend processes, and develop content. However, the data that I view is anonymous and does not contain personal information.
Please review your browser's privacy settings for additional privacy support. Your browser is the program you use to surf the Web, e.g. Chrome, Safari, Edge/Internet Explorer, Firefox.
4. I will keep customer information as required by U.S. federal, state, and/or local laws and regulations.
SUBJECT ACCESS REQUESTS AND CORRECTIONS OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Please contact Etsy to file a Subject Access Request (SAR) and receive a copy of your personal information or to correct information they may have about you.
To protect the privacy and identities of customers of The Charmed Bookshop, I will forward all Subject Access Requests that I receive to Etsy absent any ability to confirm the requester's identity or the legitimacy of the request.
*GDPR compliance is a courtesy to EU customers and should not be construed to supersede the laws of the government of the United States or local and state jurisdictions.
I wrap every book with care and ship it in a padded mailing envelope or sturdy box. If you're purchasing a gift, please advise when ordering and include a gift message.
1. I lightly clean books, as needed, but I don't attempt repairs or restoration. If you'd like a book restored, you'll find trustworthy, qualified experts in your area through libraries or museums.
I also recommend the following care instructions.
American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works -
2. Photos are cropped and resized to Etsy guidelines but are otherwise unedited. Please contact me if you'd like additional photos of book details.
3. Descriptions of condition are based on guidelines from the Independent Online Booksellers' Association.
I'll process and ship your purchase in 1 - 3 business days, and I'll ship anywhere in the world via any mail or delivery service that Etsy offers. (Please refer to the Shipping section for average shipping turn-around times by region.) If I encounter any delays in processing your order, I will advise you in advance.