Written by Lois Lowry. Illustrated by Bagram Ibatoulline. First edition, October 2009. Scholastic Press. New York.
A story based on Newbery Award-winning author Lois Lowry's personal childhood experience.
"I sit shyly in the front seat of the car next to the stranger who is my father, my legs pulled up under the too-large wool shirt I am wearing.
"I practice his name to myself, whispering it under my breath. Daddy. Daddy. Saying it feels new. The war has lasted so long. He has been gone so long. Finally, I look over at him timidly and speak aloud."
" One of Liz's faorite memories of her dad is the day they passed the window of Kronenberg's department store. Daddy had bought her a very special gift - something warm and wonderful to rmember him by. A gift she would never outgrow.
"Now Daddy is back from the war and his gift is perfect, as the two of them set out together on a cold autumn morning, first to town, where they share a special slice of cherry pie, then to the gray-green hills of the Pennsylvania farmlands, where they beckon crows from the quiet sky."
Lois Lowry (1937 - ) is best known for her novels The Giver and Number the Stars, which both won the Newbery Medal. She began writing in the 1970s and has published over 40 books, covering a range of genres and topics. Popular works include Anastasia Krupnik, Gathering Blue, Messenger, Son, and The Willoughbys. Lowry received the Margaret A. Edwards Award, the Hans Christian Andersen Award, and the Astrid Lindgren Memorial Award.
Bagram Ibatoulline (1959 - ) is a renowned illustrator of more than 20 books, including The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate DiCamillo, The Matchbox Diary by Paul Fleischman, and The Serpent Came to Gloucester by M.T. Anderson. His illustrations are known for their realism, detail, and historical accuracy. He uses a variety of media, such as watercolor, acrylic, oil, and pencil, to create his stunning images.
Visit TheCharmedBookshop.com for more books for children and collectors.
Condition: Very Good/Near Fine. Dust jacket: Light shelf wear. Illustrated cover boards. Writing on front fly leaf else pages are clean, undamaged, and complete.
1-3 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Just contact me within: 7 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 14 days of delivery
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
"We respect your privacy..." What does it mean to you as a valued customer of The Charmed Bookshop?
* I will not share your personal information acquired in the process of communicating with you or fulfilling your order with third parties.
* I do not maintain a separate customer list outside of Etsy for marketing or other purposes.
* I will contact you only through Etsy and only to answer your questions or communicate information about your order unless you provide explicit permission to contact you via personal email or phone number.
EUROZONE CUSTOMERS AND GENERAL DATA PROTECTION REGULATIONS (GDPR)*
Information I collect about you, what I do with it, and how long I keep it:
1. Etsy hosts our shop and an Etsy-powered Pattern Website - Thecharmedbookshop.com - and facilitates purchases, payments, and shipping. When you order an item from The Charmed Bookshop, Etsy collects your full name, physical/billing address, phone number/s, email address, and payment information. In turn, I acquire your full name, mailing address, and email address in order to fulfill your order. I print a hard copy of your order receipt and a mailing label but I do not use this information for any other purpose or share it with third parties.
2. Etsy retains your payment information, such as PayPal, credit card, or other payment method. I do not have access to this information nor will I ask for it.
3. Etsy collects visitor data which it shares with its sellers. I supplement this information with additional data collected by Google Analytics. This information helps me identify potential problems, manage backend processes, and develop content. However, the data that I view is anonymous and does not contain personal information.
Please review your browser's privacy settings for additional privacy support. Your browser is the program you use to surf the Web, e.g. Chrome, Safari, Edge/Internet Explorer, Firefox.
4. I will keep customer information as required by U.S. federal, state, and/or local laws and regulations.
SUBJECT ACCESS REQUESTS AND CORRECTIONS OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Please contact Etsy to file a Subject Access Request (SAR) and receive a copy of your personal information or to correct information they may have about you.
To protect the privacy and identities of customers of The Charmed Bookshop, I will forward all Subject Access Requests that I receive to Etsy absent any ability to confirm the requester's identity or the legitimacy of the request.
*GDPR compliance is a courtesy to EU customers and should not be construed to supersede the laws of the government of the United States or local and state jurisdictions.
I wrap every book with care and ship it in a padded mailing envelope or sturdy box. If you're purchasing a gift, please advise when ordering and include a gift message.
1. I lightly clean books, as needed, but I don't attempt repairs or restoration. If you'd like a book restored, you'll find trustworthy, qualified experts in your area through libraries or museums.
I also recommend the following care instructions.
American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works -
2. Photos are cropped and resized to Etsy guidelines but are otherwise unedited. Please contact me if you'd like additional photos of book details.
3. Descriptions of condition are based on guidelines from the Independent Online Booksellers' Association.
I'll process and ship your purchase in 1 - 3 business days, and I'll ship anywhere in the world via any mail or delivery service that Etsy offers. (Please refer to the Shipping section for average shipping turn-around times by region.) If I encounter any delays in processing your order, I will advise you in advance.