1989 first edition of The Pied Piper of Hamelin by Sara and Stephen Corrin, illustrated by Errol Le Cain.
Written by Sara and Stephen Corrin. Illustrated by Errol Le Cain. First U.S. edition, 1989. Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, Publishers.
"The town of Hamelin was a pretty little place, with narrow streets and overhanging gables that all but met above the heads of the passers-by. It was prosperous, too, for it was a trading town and the warehouses that stood along the River Weser were crammed with grain. Perhaps that was the trouble, for the town was infested with rats."
"Faithful to events immortalized in Robert Browning's classic poem, this new edition of The Pied Piper of Hamelin tells of the rat-infested streets of Hamelin, the despair of its townspeople, and their Mayor's foolish act of treachery that provokes the Rat Catcher's horrid revenge.
"But what really happened?"
The Mayor hired a rat catcher to rid the town of vermin at a time of plague, but he then reneged on payment. As payback the Pied Piper led the town's children out of the city, never to return. There are multiple endings to the story. The Corrins offer several possibilities in a historical note at the end of the book. In 1284, 130 children of Hameln, Germany disappeared. They may have been kidnapped as serfs of local landowners. They may have been among the 40,000 German children carried off by the Children's Crusade, in the belief that innocent children were needed to recapture Jerusalem from the Muslims. There are darker possibilities. No one knows for sure, and the legend has lived on.
Errol Le Cain (1941 - 1989) was an award-winning British children's book illustrator and animator, awarded a Kate Greenaway Medal for Hiawatha's Childhood.
Sara and Stephen Corrin also collaborated with Le Cain on Mrs. Fox's Wedding.
Visit TheCharmedBookshop.com for more first edition children's books.
Condition*: Near Fine/Very Good. Dust jacket: Mild shelf wear; light ruffling along the upper edge; small chip on the spine. Pages are clean, undamaged, and complete.
1-3 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Just contact me within: 7 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 14 days of delivery
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
"We respect your privacy..." What does it mean to you as a valued customer of The Charmed Bookshop?
* I will not share your personal information acquired in the process of communicating with you or fulfilling your order with third parties.
* I do not maintain a separate customer list outside of Etsy for marketing or other purposes.
* I will contact you only through Etsy and only to answer your questions or communicate information about your order unless you provide explicit permission to contact you via personal email or phone number.
EUROZONE CUSTOMERS AND GENERAL DATA PROTECTION REGULATIONS (GDPR)*
Information I collect about you, what I do with it, and how long I keep it:
1. Etsy hosts our shop and an Etsy-powered Pattern Website - Thecharmedbookshop.com - and facilitates purchases, payments, and shipping. When you order an item from The Charmed Bookshop, Etsy collects your full name, physical/billing address, phone number/s, email address, and payment information. In turn, I acquire your full name, mailing address, and email address in order to fulfill your order. I print a hard copy of your order receipt and a mailing label but I do not use this information for any other purpose or share it with third parties.
2. Etsy retains your payment information, such as PayPal, credit card, or other payment method. I do not have access to this information nor will I ask for it.
3. Etsy collects visitor data which it shares with its sellers. I supplement this information with additional data collected by Google Analytics. This information helps me identify potential problems, manage backend processes, and develop content. However, the data that I view is anonymous and does not contain personal information.
Please review your browser's privacy settings for additional privacy support. Your browser is the program you use to surf the Web, e.g. Chrome, Safari, Edge/Internet Explorer, Firefox.
4. I will keep customer information as required by U.S. federal, state, and/or local laws and regulations.
SUBJECT ACCESS REQUESTS AND CORRECTIONS OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Please contact Etsy to file a Subject Access Request (SAR) and receive a copy of your personal information or to correct information they may have about you.
To protect the privacy and identities of customers of The Charmed Bookshop, I will forward all Subject Access Requests that I receive to Etsy absent any ability to confirm the requester's identity or the legitimacy of the request.
*GDPR compliance is a courtesy to EU customers and should not be construed to supersede the laws of the government of the United States or local and state jurisdictions.
I wrap every book with care and ship it in a padded mailing envelope or sturdy box. If you're purchasing a gift, please advise when ordering and include a gift message.
1. I lightly clean books, as needed, but I don't attempt repairs or restoration. If you'd like a book restored, you'll find trustworthy, qualified experts in your area through libraries or museums.
I also recommend the following care instructions.
American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works -
2. Photos are cropped and resized to Etsy guidelines but are otherwise unedited. Please contact me if you'd like additional photos of book details.
3. Descriptions of condition are based on guidelines from the Independent Online Booksellers' Association.
I'll process and ship your purchase in 1 - 3 business days, and I'll ship anywhere in the world via any mail or delivery service that Etsy offers. (Please refer to the Shipping section for average shipping turn-around times by region.) If I encounter any delays in processing your order, I will advise you in advance.