1969 first edition of The Great Soul Trial by Robert G Fuller, inscribed by trial lawyer Robert Eppstein.
Written by Robert G Fuller. First edition, 1969. Inscribed by Robert Eppstein. The Macmillan Company.
"On infrequent occasions, while he was still living, I used to have lunch or a couple of Scotches with Irving Gitlin as his guest at the Players' club. Irving was a rare human being whose zest for life and boyish enthusiasm were coupled with a hard, tough sense of creative reality and a broad spectrum of interest propelled him up the through the public affairs department of CBS Television to become executive producer at NBC, where he steers the numerous NBC White Papers and other documentary film specials into national television. ...
"I enjoyed talking with Irving about philosophy. He dove into it with a free-swinging sense of curiosity and exploration. ...
"I was firmly in agreement with Irving's approach to almost any subject: To begin by neither believing nor disbelieving. To refuse to take either point of view without thorough investigation. To accept blindly or to reject bluntly would be equally disastrous.
"The avoidance of such disaster always seemed to me to consist of being curious, interested, warm and alive to the infinitely complex structure of the self, the universe, the pulse of the conscious and unconscious.
"Maybe that is why the story of James Kidd intrigued me so much when I read about it in The New York Times on September 3, 1967. The one-column headline on the inside page was of more than usual interest. It read: 'Judge Hears 130 Testify on Soul...Must Rule Which Claimant Gets Prospector's Estate'."
"This is the full story of the famous "Ghost Trial of the Century", involving serious and reputable scientists in the search for what happens to man after death.
"Like scores of old-time prospectors in Arizona's Superstition Mountains, James Kidd was a loner - a quiet, frugal man, mild and unobtrusive. His sudden disappearance in 1949 attracted little notice - until it was learned that the solitary old man had left an estate of nearly a quarter of a million dollars, along with a handwritten will directing the entire sum toward 'research or some scientific proof of a soul of the human body which leaves at death. ..."
"Altogether, 134 individuals, organizations, and institutions paid $15 each to file a claim on Kidd's estate. In this fascinating, completely factual account, John G Fuller tells the whole story of the incredible trial which ensued - a trial which, before it was over, involved a battalion of lawyers, a cluster of highly regarded universities, several thoroughly reputable institutions, a state board of regents, a swarm of journalists, and large trail of camp-followers and mystics.
"...Beyond the trial itself, Mr Fuller examines specifically and objectively the controversial issues of telepathy, clairvoyance, and possible communications with the dead."
The book was published before the trial concluded in 1971.
John Grant Fuller (1913 - 1990) became well known for raising controversial questions on a variety of issues. Environmental accidents, government cover-ups, medical quackery, the madness of crowds, seemingly supernatural incidents and extraterrestrials, and rock concert violence of the 1970s. Books include Incident at Exeter, The Interrupted Journey, Fever!, The Day of St Anthony's Fire, The Day We Bombed Utah, Aliens in the Skies, Arigo: Surgeon of the Rusty Knife, We Almost Lost Detroit, The Ghost of Flight 401, Are The Kids Alright?, and The Poison That Fell From the Sky.
Visit TheCharmedBookshop.com for more first edition children's books.
Condition*: Fine/Very Good. Dust jacket: Moderate shelf wear; small closed tear and small chip at head of the spine; beginning of small closed tear on the back, bottom edge; edgewear at tail of the spine. Inside: Very small round spot on front fly leaf, as shown, else pages are clean, undamaged, and complete. Inscribed on front fly leaf by Robert Eppstein, May 26, 1971, by the lawyer who represented the Psychical Research Institute at trial. Ephemera included: Newspaper clipping from The Arizona Daily Star, May 26, 1975.
1-3 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Just contact me within: 7 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 14 days of delivery
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
"We respect your privacy..." What does it mean to you as a valued customer of The Charmed Bookshop?
* I will not share your personal information acquired in the process of communicating with you or fulfilling your order with third parties.
* I do not maintain a separate customer list outside of Etsy for marketing or other purposes.
* I will contact you only through Etsy and only to answer your questions or communicate information about your order unless you provide explicit permission to contact you via personal email or phone number.
EUROZONE CUSTOMERS AND GENERAL DATA PROTECTION REGULATIONS (GDPR)*
Information I collect about you, what I do with it, and how long I keep it:
1. Etsy hosts our shop and an Etsy-powered Pattern Website - Thecharmedbookshop.com - and facilitates purchases, payments, and shipping. When you order an item from The Charmed Bookshop, Etsy collects your full name, physical/billing address, phone number/s, email address, and payment information. In turn, I acquire your full name, mailing address, and email address in order to fulfill your order. I print a hard copy of your order receipt and a mailing label but I do not use this information for any other purpose or share it with third parties.
2. Etsy retains your payment information, such as PayPal, credit card, or other payment method. I do not have access to this information nor will I ask for it.
3. Etsy collects visitor data which it shares with its sellers. I supplement this information with additional data collected by Google Analytics. This information helps me identify potential problems, manage backend processes, and develop content. However, the data that I view is anonymous and does not contain personal information.
Please review your browser's privacy settings for additional privacy support. Your browser is the program you use to surf the Web, e.g. Chrome, Safari, Edge/Internet Explorer, Firefox.
4. I will keep customer information as required by U.S. federal, state, and/or local laws and regulations.
SUBJECT ACCESS REQUESTS AND CORRECTIONS OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Please contact Etsy to file a Subject Access Request (SAR) and receive a copy of your personal information or to correct information they may have about you.
To protect the privacy and identities of customers of The Charmed Bookshop, I will forward all Subject Access Requests that I receive to Etsy absent any ability to confirm the requester's identity or the legitimacy of the request.
*GDPR compliance is a courtesy to EU customers and should not be construed to supersede the laws of the government of the United States or local and state jurisdictions.
I wrap every book with care and ship it in a padded mailing envelope or sturdy box. If you're purchasing a gift, please advise when ordering and include a gift message.
1. I lightly clean books, as needed, but I don't attempt repairs or restoration. If you'd like a book restored, you'll find trustworthy, qualified experts in your area through libraries or museums.
I also recommend the following care instructions.
American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works -
2. Photos are cropped and resized to Etsy guidelines but are otherwise unedited. Please contact me if you'd like additional photos of book details.
3. Descriptions of condition are based on guidelines from the Independent Online Booksellers' Association.
I'll process and ship your purchase in 1 - 3 business days, and I'll ship anywhere in the world via any mail or delivery service that Etsy offers. (Please refer to the Shipping section for average shipping turn-around times by region.) If I encounter any delays in processing your order, I will advise you in advance.