Written by Karen Papagapitos. Illustrated by Kate Gartner. Author signed. Second edition, 1990. Kapa, publishers.
"Dust devils blew round the school bus as the driver slowed down in front of the yellow school building. Eight-year-old Jose jumped down from the highest step on the bus and landed softly on the warm desert sand of southern Arizona. He took off at a run so that his younger sisters, Bonita and Lupe, wouldn't catch up with him. He wanted by first in line, today of all days.
"This was a very special day for the Vasquez children, for they were starting the school year with the rest of the students - at the beginning of the year. Their parents, Socorro and Luis Vasquez, were migrant workers. They had to move several times a year, following whatever crops needed to be harvested in the fields of southern Arizona and California's central valley."
"By learning to piece together his adventures in every new place, much like his mother weaves reeds and grasses from the different places in her special basket, Jose finds the courage he needs to move on."
Author Karen Papagapitos is a Tucson native. She earned her BA in Education at the University of Arizona and her MA in ESL at Hunter College. In the early 1970s, she taught migrant children near the border between Arizona and Sonora, Mexico. After living in New York for many years, she returned to Tucson in 2020.
Visit TheCharmedBookshop.com for more books for children and collectors.
Condition*: Near Fine/Very Good. Dust jacket: Mild shelf wear; mild sunning on the leading edges; bar code sticker on the back. Pages are clean, undamaged, and complete.
Shipping from United States
1-3 business days
Estimated shipping times
- Australia : 1 - 3 business days
- United States : 1 - 3 business days
- North America : 1 - 3 business days
- Europe : 1 - 3 business days
- Australia, New Zealand and Oceania : 1 - 3 business days
- Asia Pacific : 1 - 3 business days
- Latin America and the Caribbean : 1 - 3 business days
- North Africa and the Middle East : 1 - 3 business days
- Sub-Saharan Africa : 1 - 3 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Customs and import taxes
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Returns & Exchanges
I gladly accept returns, exchanges, and cancellations
Just contact me within: 7 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 14 days of delivery
* I will not share your personal information with third parties.
* I will contact you only through Etsy or an email address you provide to convey information about your order and news exclusive to The Charmed Bookshop.
* In placing your order, please provide Etsy with an active email address to ensure that I can get in touch with you about your order.
Frequently Asked Questions
Gift wrapping and packaging
I wrap every book with care and ship it in a padded mailing envelope or sturdy box. If you're purchasing a gift, please advise when ordering and include a gift message.
1. I lightly clean books, as needed, but I don't attempt repairs or restoration. If you'd like a book restored, you'll find trustworthy, qualified experts in your area through libraries or museums.
I also recommend the following care instructions.
American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works -
2. Photos are cropped and resized to Etsy guidelines but are otherwise unedited. Please contact me if you'd like additional photos of book details.
3. Descriptions of condition are based on guidelines from the Independent Online Booksellers' Association.
Order processing time
I'll process and ship your purchase in 1 - 3 business days, and I'll ship anywhere in the world via any mail or delivery service that Etsy offers. (Please refer to the Shipping section for average shipping turn-around times by region.) If I encounter any delays in processing your order, I will advise you in advance.