Fascinating story, Through The Mickle Woods by Valiska Gregory, illustrated by Barry Moser. Author signed 1992 first edition.
Written by Valiska Gregory. Illustrated by Barry Moser. AUTHOR SIGNED 1992 first edition, second printing. Little Brown & Company. (Published simultaneously in Canada.)
The King, grieving the death of the Queen, is presented with a letter in which she requests him to honor her last, important wish.
"Do one thing more for me, my king, my love. Into the dark and mickle woods go forth to find the bear. This child will give him my ring, and when the bells ring out at morningtide, mark you, closely, how merrily they sing."
This is a frame story, a literary device to tell a story within a story. In the book, the King and the boy, Michael, embark on a journey, and a wise old bear shares the wisdom the Queen knew would lift the King's grief.
Moser brings the characters to life in their individual portraits, as he did for East Of The Sun, West Of The Moon. In the end, the darkness of grief lifts and the light begins to return.
Valiska Gregory has written many other well-received children's books: When Stories Fell Like Shooting Stars, Babysitting For Benjamin, and the Mr. Poggle and Scamp Books.
Barry Moser is a respected, award-winning artist, with a particular love of print making. He's illustrated an interesting variety of books for children: The Call Of The Wild, Lousy Rotten Stinkin' Grapes, What You Know First, Once Upon a Twice, The Mushroom Man, Voices of Ancient Egypt, and many others.
Visit TheCharmedBookshop.com for more first edition children's books.
Condition*: Very Good/Very Good. AUTHOR SIGNED. Dust jacket: Moderate shelf wear; small closed tear, head of the spine. Yellow cloth cover: Last name written in top right corner of front fly leaf; small area of pin-sized spots on lower edge. Author inscription on title page else pages are clean, undamaged, and complete.
1-3 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Just contact me within: 7 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 14 days of delivery
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
"We respect your privacy..." What does it mean to you as a valued customer of The Charmed Bookshop?
* I will not share your personal information acquired in the process of communicating with you or fulfilling your order with third parties.
* I do not maintain a separate customer list outside of Etsy for marketing or other purposes.
* I will contact you only through Etsy and only to answer your questions or communicate information about your order unless you provide explicit permission to contact you via personal email or phone number.
EUROZONE CUSTOMERS AND GENERAL DATA PROTECTION REGULATIONS (GDPR)*
Information I collect about you, what I do with it, and how long I keep it:
1. Etsy hosts our shop and an Etsy-powered Pattern Website - Thecharmedbookshop.com - and facilitates purchases, payments, and shipping. When you order an item from The Charmed Bookshop, Etsy collects your full name, physical/billing address, phone number/s, email address, and payment information. In turn, I acquire your full name, mailing address, and email address in order to fulfill your order. I print a hard copy of your order receipt and a mailing label but I do not use this information for any other purpose or share it with third parties.
2. Etsy retains your payment information, such as PayPal, credit card, or other payment method. I do not have access to this information nor will I ask for it.
3. Etsy collects visitor data which it shares with its sellers. I supplement this information with additional data collected by Google Analytics. This information helps me identify potential problems, manage backend processes, and develop content. However, the data that I view is anonymous and does not contain personal information.
Please review your browser's privacy settings for additional privacy support. Your browser is the program you use to surf the Web, e.g. Chrome, Safari, Edge/Internet Explorer, Firefox.
4. I will keep customer information as required by U.S. federal, state, and/or local laws and regulations.
SUBJECT ACCESS REQUESTS AND CORRECTIONS OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Please contact Etsy to file a Subject Access Request (SAR) and receive a copy of your personal information or to correct information they may have about you.
To protect the privacy and identities of customers of The Charmed Bookshop, I will forward all Subject Access Requests that I receive to Etsy absent any ability to confirm the requester's identity or the legitimacy of the request.
*GDPR compliance is a courtesy to EU customers and should not be construed to supersede the laws of the government of the United States or local and state jurisdictions.
I wrap every book with care and ship it in a padded mailing envelope or sturdy box. If you're purchasing a gift, please advise when ordering and include a gift message.
1. I lightly clean books, as needed, but I don't attempt repairs or restoration. If you'd like a book restored, you'll find trustworthy, qualified experts in your area through libraries or museums.
I also recommend the following care instructions.
American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works -
2. Photos are cropped and resized to Etsy guidelines but are otherwise unedited. Please contact me if you'd like additional photos of book details.
3. Descriptions of condition are based on guidelines from the Independent Online Booksellers' Association.
I'll process and ship your purchase in 1 - 3 business days, and I'll ship anywhere in the world via any mail or delivery service that Etsy offers. (Please refer to the Shipping section for average shipping turn-around times by region.) If I encounter any delays in processing your order, I will advise you in advance.